Dr. S Bakhtiar Choudhary
Dr. Bakhtiar Choudhary is a Senior Consultant in
He served for 10 years in Indian Army and he served 10 years in Apollo Hospitals Hyderabad, which is one of the best hospitals in India and South East Asia. Dr Bakhtiar Choudhary holds an experience of more than 30 years and has successfully managed a variety of medical conditions at curative, rehabilitative and preventive levels. He saved more than 2000 people from spine surgery with simple methods for the first time in India.
Central Council member
Former Medical Advisor
Past President (AP)
Former Sports medicine Advisor
Central Council member
Hyderabad Spine Clinics
HSERF (Hyderabad Sports medicine, Educational and Research Foundation)
Health Management: Education and Occupational Health Sports medicine; Sports Training ,Ergonomics & workplace management ,Fitness, Nutrition, Obesity & Body weight management
Apollo College of Physiotherapy
Apollo Cardiac Rehabilitation programme
Apollo Organ Transplant Rehabilitation
Microsoft India Development Centre, at Hyderabad, to provide Occupational Health and anti-RSI programmes
Indian Association of Occupational Health
Indian Association of Occupational Health (AP)
Deccan Chargers (Indian Premier League)
JNTU- Kakinada (Resource for MS Sports Sciences and Technology)
Singareni Collieries Company Ltd.
LBS National Academy of Administration; Mussoorie
National Academy for Direct taxes; Nagpur
Academic Staff Training: Osmania University
Engineering Staff College of India; Hyderabad
SVP National Police Academy, Hyderabad.
National Life saving society
Indian Association Occupational health
Indian Federation of Sports medicine
Hyderabad Cricket Association
Experience in Sports medicine
Description of work
Experience in Sports medicine
Swiss Ice Hockey Team : Was chosen as team doctor for Ice Hockey team Switzerland
England Cricket Team : Team doctor for the team during India tour
World Military Games : Sports Medicine In-charge during the tournament
Provided Conditioning, Nutrition and Injury Prevention Programmes to the following sports-persons
Xeno Muuller : Olympic Rowing Gold medallist from Switzerland
Mike Gating, VVS Laxman, Adam Gilchrist, Andrew Symonds and many IPL international players : Cricket
PT Usha : Treated her and provided Nutritional advise
Late. Nanda Jhadav : Marathon Training
Represented India “Six” times and attained India Colour, as a Team doctor and in-charge of sports medical support to the following teams
Indian Men’s Hockey :Four Nations Tournament; Chandigarh
Indian Men’s Hockey : Four Nations Tournament; Harare, Zimbabwe
Indian Women Hockey team : Four Nations Tournament;Hyderabad,India
Indian Boxing Team : Indo-Thailand Exchange competition
Bangkok, Thailand Indian women Cricket team : Training camp at Hyderabad
International Permit Meet : Medical in-charge twice (PUNE)
(Attended by Carl Lewes)
Indian Rowing Team : During Asian Games preparation 1994 studied
energy balance for the first time in Indian Rowers
National Cross Country : Team doctor
Services Athletics : Trained them
All India Police Games : Provided medical cover
Director - Hyderabad Spine Clinics, HSERF
One stop clinic for pain management, IT related medical problems, Nutrition and Obesity, Ergonomics, Education and Training.
Developed various on-site occupational health programmes tailor-made for computer professionals / sitting executives including International Bankers and call centre executives.
Conducting several workshops and providing on-site consultancy to large and medium companies, both in public and private sector.
HSERF (Hyderabad Sports medicine, Educational and Research Foundation) -
Designed and implemented a comprehensive program called ‘Fit-Kid program’ for many schools.
Conducting several health management related research projects for Corporates and schools
Conducting Post Graduate programs for Medical and Para-medical professionals
Doctor of Literature (D Lit) : Sri Lanka
Ph D : (Childhood obesity: develop sustainable preventive strategies)
MD (Sports medicine : Switzerland
MBBS (1984) : Gandhi Medical College, Hyderabad
Certificate (1995) : Sports Massage and Health Trainer
Swiss Sports School, Magglingen (Switzerland)
Certificate : Athletic Official (IAAF)
FIMS (Team Physician Course) : Instructor (Sultanate of Oman)
Previous Work Experience
Indian Army : 987 member of Indian Peace keeping Force at SriLanka
1987-88 High Altitude Area in Sikkim (24 Rajput)
1988-89, North Eastern States (B-composite Sig Regt)
1989-90, Jammu & Kashmir (64 Cavalry)
1990-91, Barmer (Rajasthan) (14 Grenadiers)
1991-96, Sports Medicine Centre, Pune
Apollo Hospitals : Since 1997 till Jan 2007
Care Hospitals : Head - Community and Corporate Wellness Program Worked for Six months
1. PG Dipl. Sports Science and Nutrition- SNDT University, Bombay.
Solely responsible for course development, delivery and paper setting and correction.
2. PG Dipl. Sports Physiotherapy and Nutrition - Apollo Hospitals, Hyd.
Solely responsible for its development, faculty identification and delivery of the course. Served as Director with accreditation from Indian Olympic Association
3. Dipl. in Patient Care and counselling – Dr Reddy’s labs, Hyderabad.
Was the resource person for the above diploma course offered to all
graduates who render their services to medical profession as Counsellors
4. MS Sports Sciences in three tracks for Osmania University, Hyd.
Developed all the details of this course and it is under preparation by the University
5. MS Sports Sciences and Technology at JNTU-Kakinada. Developed this course.
6. MS Occupational Health & Safety at JNTU-Kakinada. Developed this course.
Guest Speaker, Oration lectures & Chairperson -Silver Jubilee of Indian Association of Sports Medicine, Amritsar Dec.2003, Chennai Jan 2004 – 2006, 2009. Invited to various conferences in the capacity of a Guest speaker / Resource Person / chairperson for scientific sessions; Guided and mentored medical students in various areas
Experience with Apollo Group
Founder Director: Conceived the idea of College for Physiotherapy and worked for the organisation to establish the same served them as first director of the college.
Cardiac Rehabilitation: First person in the country to initiate the concept of Cardiac Rehabilitation in Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad.
Till 2006 Dec., advised about 10,000 heart patients on life-style modification including exercise prescription, modified cardiac diet and stress coping skills.
Conceived and developed Apollo Heart Club and its monthly newsletter.
Developed patient material and booklet on prevention of heart disease.
Presented following papers in the area
1. “What is the right edible oil to maintain good lipid profile” presentation at Cardiology Conference in Bombay 98.
2. “Arm/forearm ratio and cross section of mid arm are the good indicators in Diabetic CAD patients” presentation at Cardiology Conference in Bombay 98.
Experience with Care Hospitals
As Head for the Community and Corporate Wellness Program, conceived and developed community, family and occupational wellness program
• to deal with risk factors related to life style.
• to achieve complete wellness in the communities and in families
• occupational wellness including work place management, preventive health care and environment health and safety (EHS)
Memberships and Affiliation to National and International Organisations
Founder Member : British Society for Heart Failure (UK).
(BSH) Only Indian doctor from sports medicine with honorary founder membership in this prestigious organisation. Membership given on the basis of exercise programmes developed for heart failure patients.
Working group Member: European Society of Cardiology (France)
Only Indian doctor to become a member in Cardiac Rehabilitation and exercise physiology. Membership given on the basis of Cardiac Rehabilitation experience.
Indian Association Occupational Health: Life member in the association and presented many papers in the field. Served as President of the association in AP; Conducted National Conference in 2009 at Hyderabad.
Trusty in many reputed health and fitness centres
Hon. Advisor to many voluntary organisations
Research Work; Publications ; Conferences
Social Service & Media Coverage
Hobbies and Interests
Occupational Health related
Published original papers in various conferences in the fields of; Occupational Health in Computer professionals. Published many original papers in occupation related problems in computer professional; original surveys on ‘Information Technology’ related health problems, were published by me
School teachers and school children
12. Cardiovascular Reactivity during Teaching: An Emerging Occupational Stress in Schoolteachers” Presented at the National Occupational Health Conference at Cochin 2004
14. “Are we making Sedentary and Obese school children?” Intervention Study of 6000 Indian school children. Presented at FIMS world congress on Sports Medicine at MUSCAT 23-28, Jan200.
15. “Motivating obese school children; role of physical education teacher” Presented at National Physical education conference held at Osmania University in Jan 2007.
16. Operating surgeons- Occupational Hazards in Operating surgeons; Interventional study and preventive strategies; presented at Occupational Health Conference at Pune 2005.
17. Goldsmiths- Backache in Goldsmiths and Milk-Vendors presented at the National conference on Occupational health held at Goa; 2002
18. Housewives - Health problems related to Women; Study of 6000 house wives from Rural, towns and urban areas. Under publication-- 2007.
1. Revised Ration Scale for Selected services Sports persons. This study was done to revise the sports nutritional needs of military sports persons of India
2. Nutritional Evaluation of Indian male Rowers preparing for Asian games 94 (presented in National Conference on Nutrition, Bombay; published in the Proceedings).
3. Effect of Creatine Supplementation on speed during 30m sprint (Indian Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics, Feb. 2000)
4. Use of body composition as an index of fitness in defence services (1126 subjects)
5. "Nutritional Problems in Elite Indian Sports persons"
• "Why don’t Indian Juniors perform well as seniors?"
• "Stress, Attitude and sports performance" presented at National Sports medicine conference 2000.
6. Performance evaluation of a Boxing Competition.
7. “Defective nutritional practices in elite Indian sports persons.” Presented at National Physical education conference held at Osmania University in Jan 2007.
8. “Does moderate home-based yoga exercises increase Vo2 max
(Aerobic capacity)?” Presented at National Physical education conference held at Osmania University in Jan 2007.
9. “Psycho-physiological basis for sports performance” presented at National Physical education conference held at Osmania University in Jan 2007.
10. “ Obesity in school children- challenge for a physical Education teacher” National Physical education conference held at at Goa, 2008.
11. “Understanding Computer ergonomics in Physical education” National Physical education conference held at Osmania university, 2009.
1. First ever noise pollution of Pune and Hyderabad cities
2. Water safety in some IT companies in Hyderabad.
3. E-Waste management
Studies in process
1. Urban neck Syndrome; Study of painful neck conditions occurring to urban population
2. Study on the new nutritional guidelines for coal miners
3. Study on drivers – driving stress and its relation to heart disease
4. Degree of infertility in young IT couples
5. Syndrome X in young children
6. Postural insults in youth
7. Vit “D” deficiency syndrome
Parenting Your Kid-Fit
Prevention of heart disease
Childhood stories (Telugu)
Instrument Development: Fat-o-Measure: developed a skin-fold Caliper along with a self- help obesity and body weight management kit
Expert in exercise programmes
• Tai- chi
• Advanced Modified Yogic Stretching Programme
• Weight reduction exercise programmes
• Rehabilitation exercises for patients
• Sports Fitness programmes
With an aim to teach modern scientific information to rural masses, I have chosen television and news dailies; made many programmes which are viewer friendly and user friendly exercise programmes in their local language.
National and Local channels:
1. Discovery channel, Star News
2. Zee News
3. Aaj Tak News
4. India TV
6. TV-9, TV-5,
8. Gemini Television
9. Maa- Tv,
10. Teja TV & others
Newspapers: Deccan Chronicle, Hindu,Times, Eenadu, Sakshi Indian Express, Andhra Jyoti and others
Websites: NDTVdoctor.com, thesouthreporter.com and Google reviews
Kargill War: Collected Rs 200,000/- through cultural programme and donated to bereaved families of war victims.
Tsunami: Aftermath of tsunami, my family collected two truckloads of domestic material and monitory help to victims
1. Doctorate of Literature (Colombo): For research in Obesity
2. Nomination for Guinness Book of records
He is the first doctor to participate in Competitive Motor cycle rally on to the highest road on the earth; khardungla
3. Hall of Fame Award for distinguished personality
Based on all round personality this organisation has chosen him for this award
4. Dr CKR Oration Award: National Occupational Health Conference; Chennai- Feb 2007.
5. Sir Ardeshir Dalal Oration Award- Highest honour for occupational health research-2009
6. (Hon) Ph.D awarded on 10 June 2012
Dance and Choreography: Trained in Russian ballet, Jazz ballet, Panto mime, Ballet Choreography
Won first prize: Panto-mime in Inter-varsities
Photography : won National Photo contest award on topic “Mera Bharat Mahan”
Vihang Photo exhibition of Bird Photographs: At Icon art gallery Hyderabad on 11/11/2011
Painting : Won all “India Sketching competition”
Exhibited oil painting works in two One man Shows
Sunday Painters Academy: Conducted children’s painting academy in 1982 - 1986
Music : Flute (Hindustani classical), Keyboard and Piano
Cinema : Acted in health related documentaries
Acted in Telugu movies
1. Army Cross-country Motor: Leader of the Motor cycle expedition cycle
expedition (1988) organised by 101 Area Hq, Shillong covering all the North Eastern states of India.
2. Purandhar Fort Children: Doctor in-charge of the adventure camp (1993)
camp conducted by Army, Pune
3. Army-Bajaj Endurance: Participated in Motor cycle Rally (1994)
on the highest motorable road on the earth, Khardungla(18,850feet)
4. Wind Chasers; Provided medical cover to “Sandakpu 70 mile Himalayan Marathon”
1. Can We Prevent Occupational stress in computer professionals" presented at National occupational Health Conference held in Hyderabad 99. (Published in Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, Jan. 2000.)
2. Diet stress in Cyber professionals presented at National Occupational Health Conference held in Hyderabad 99
3. Forward head posture is the cause of Straight Spine Syndrome in many professionals presented at the National Conference held at Chennai 2000 and got published in Indian journal of occupational health.
4. Backache in Tele Network professionals; Implication of tabletop and sitting postures presented at the National conference on Occupational health held at New Delhi 2001.
5. Water safety in IT (Information Technology) industry is neglected presented at the National conference on Occupational health held at New Delhi 2001.
6. Awkward posture and development of RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) in Computer professionals presented at the National conference on Occupational health held at New Delhi 2001.
7. Right Attitude can prevent the development of RSI in Computer Professionals presented at the National conference on Occupational health held at Bangalore 2003.
8. Early Hypertension in IT (Information Technology) professionals, serious cardiovascular risk. Presented at Occupational Health Conference at Pune 2005.
9. “Sacroiliac joint pain, a common cause of backache in experienced IT (Information Technology) professionals.
Presented at National conference on Occupational Health held at Chennai Feb. 2007.
10. CKR Oration Award: Lecture on “Occupational Health problems related to computer users (Information Technology: IT); A review of last decade; Presented at National Occupational Health Conference Feb 2007.
11. Si Ardeshar Dalal Oration Award lecture on: Urban neck Syndrome